Saturday, November 05, 2005

TARGET solves the "Estatut" issue

This week I have e-followed the debate on the Catalan Constitution (l'Estatut, English version) through all webpapers. I have read all kind of commentaries, from the right and the left, from Catalan nationalists and Spanish patriots, from Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Galicia, Andalusia and the Basque country. I have also read the speeches of almost every speaker. My conclusion is that the story will continue for years to come.
In my opinion the best speech came surprisingly from Josep Lluis Carod-Rovira. I do not like him as politician, I think that his statements have damaged Catalonia and the Catalan cause, but this time he was superb. He was even witty when he replied to the Popular Party leader in Galician language "the more you attack me, the more votes I get". Mariano Rajoy, the current conservative party leader is from Galicia although his wife has always insisted to deliver their kids in Barcelona, a matter of trust, I guess.
Unfortunately none of the sides listens to what the other has to say. Both have valid arguments, but no one wants to give in.
However, last week when I was shopping at the US retailer Target, a track jacket caught my eye. Immediately I realized that they had discovered the perfect answer to the problems we are currently facing in Catalonia and Spain. They have created a track jacket with Madrid in big letters and the Barcelona soccer club logo right next to it (imagine a track jacket with New York in big letters and the Boston Red Sox logo next to it in a moment in which New England would be debating the secession from the Union).
I think that the jacket can be safely worn in USA, but I would not recommend any of you (unless you are a masochist) that you wear it in Spain. I was planning to give it as a present to one of my friends from Madrid who lives now in Kenya (although since I started this blog, I do not know whether he still calls me friend or not), because I thought it would be pretty safe to wear it in the Kenyan jungle, but you never know.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

ian that's hillarious!! this is what i call a model of excellence! haha maybe its target's way of trying to solve the world's issues-- OR trying to start up some international trouble!!!

Guirilandia said...

That pretty sums up the world's idea of Spain. I'd sport it anyway. But what flag is that on the shoulder?

cadiz12 said...

good lord. now THAT is what makes americans look dumb.

anyone wearing that jacket around real fans is looking for a beatdown. i happen to know some fcbarca fans who would be livid.

ian llorens said...

Andrew, a nice Italian flag on the manufacturer's tag (Roma Atletica).

I paid 30 bucks for the jacket, just to keep it as a collector's item. The truth is that it is pretty cozy and I wear it at home when I am sure that no visitors will show up.

Danny Valls said...

Man. Imagine wearing that shirt in Ramblas, you´d get shot and fed to the pigeons in Plaça Catalunya.