Saturday, April 22, 2006

Vendrell: Catalonia's new CEO

We, Catalans, are masochistic by nature. We not only have lost every single war in the last 600 years (we did pretty well before that time), our national day commemorates a defeat and guess what, it falls on September 11th (do not take it personally, it's been like that for almost 300 years, but it kills me that I cannot even celebrate my national day in the States) , but also we have a broken hand when choosing our politicians.
Our last achievement in the political arena has been the appointment of Xavier Vendrell, the famous alleged CEO (Chief Extorting Officer) as our new Interior Minister ("Conseller de Governació").
As you may remember, Xavier Verndrell allegedly sent letters to all those who had been hired to work in the departments ruled by his party (Esquerra Republicana Bananera de Catalunya) telling them that if they did not contribute part of their salaries to the Party, they would be fired on the spot, and some were indeed fired.
This guy is now responsible to appoint the chief prosecutor that will investigate his alleged crimes. It is believed that he is close to a deal with the former prosecutor in Aruba of the Natalee Halloway case, but he is still open to other options if they are proven to be even more incompetent.
Should I have a Catalan passport (something that I have longed for some times), I would tear it to pieces right now. I love Massachusetts more and more.

3 comments:

Kore said...

Ei company!

I am writting a paper about the reform of the Catalan Constitution and I ran into this blog while doing some online research. I am also a Catalan living in Massachusetts :-)

Bona feina amb el bloc!

Kore

ian llorens said...

Kore,
Good luck with you paper. I hope you enjoy your time in Massachusetts. Except for the weather in winter, the rest is great. I love it here.

Gaudeix de la primavera a Nova Anglaterra.

Jaume P said...

Hi
The main thing there is not about to send or not a letter, Its about financial issues. How each party gets they incomes? In ERC there are letters, bad thing, but worse is anonymous (but legal) donations. There in USA you have public donations I thing, that solves the problem. Here we don't know who and, more important, WHY each one make donations. Except ERC that refuse that donations all partys had a lot of those.
Good luck there...