Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Las Vegas (I)

We spent the Christmas holiday in Vegas, ideal location if you are traveling, as I did, with a 7 year old and a 1 year old. Las Vegas is far from Boston, almost 6 hours by plane, more or less like London, but with those little kids, it felt to me like New Zealand.
Despite the tiring trip, we had a great time. Weather was good, temperature around 65F degrees, mostly sunny, great. Our hotel was fantastic, the MGM Grand, and our room had a great view to the northern part of the Strip, we could even see the water show at the Bellagio from our room. Most of the foreign visitors were Chinese, some Europeans and people from South America, but the vast majority was Chinese. I only saw one Spanish couple.
I also saw a guy wearing the Madrid track jacket with the Barcelona soccer club logo on. I tried to take a picture, but the result was not so good. You can hardly see the jacket, but you will recognize it if you click here. I was going to delete the picture, but I thought it may become useful if he decides to go to Spain in his next trip instead of going back to Vegas. The plastic surgeon may need it to reconstruct his face.
We also went to see David Copperfield’s magician show in shifts (someone had to stay back to look after the 1 year old). It was a good show but I was somewhat disappointed. The tricks are OK, but I think I can guess the kind of technology behind and I am afraid that half of the volunteers are part of the show. In addition to it, the guy is so presumptuous. He spends 45 minutes of the show either talking about himself or showing video clips of people who praise him, but we had fun at $97 a pop.
In the wine shops I was not able to find any of the Toledo, Logroño or Murcia cava bottles that seem to be hot in the "rest of Spain" boycotting market. There was plenty of Catalan cava (Freixenet) at $14.99. What a price!!! I buy it at Costco at $6.99 and you can buy it in BCN for less that $4.00, so I decided to celebrate the new year with Bacardí;, the founder of which was born in Sitges (Barcelona) and together with some coke it lasted me for a few days, that's the cocktail we call Cuba Libre (free Cuba = Bacardí-Coke).
Another remarkable thing is that while Freixenet sales have dropped 4% in Spain as a consequence of the boycott, all the advertisement made by Freixenet in USA is Spanish stereotype centric (something that really kills me). If you go to Gloria Ferrer's website (a Freixenet group company), you will see that they advertise the Catalan Festival with Flamenco dancers (put your cursor on the picture and you will be able to read "Catalonian dancers") and a Valencian paella (I do not have a big problem with the paella, but I do not want to debate this time the Països Catalans issue).
I cannot accept that the Spanish government portrays all Spaniards in their promotion campaigns as bullfighters or flamingo dancers, but I find it even more intolerable that a Catalan company bastardizes our culture for one point of market share. Why not using the “calçotada” (grilled spring onions more or less), the “castellers” (human towers) and the “sardana” (Catalan traditional collective dance) instead?. And I have already drunk by myself two cases of Freixenet this Xmas to counter the boycott. My goodness!!!
Changing subject, in part two I will explain why I think we should create a Las Vegas in Los Monegros (Zaragoza).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the beginning was the word...(he)llo_ the first news transmitted in Internet.

GOOD NEWS!
I heard that this New Year 2006 will be better than the last year!
For some people wonderful, full of joy, pleasure, health, successes, happiness, love,
for the other incredible one and unbelievable.
I’m happy of being able to announce it to you myself!

A perfection does not exist apart from our glance.
Perhaps it will be interesting to start to improve ourself before trying to see a perfection
somwhere else or in what we lost last year.

The worst fear is the fear in front of something which we cannot perhaps know...
Good “jump” in this New Year and all the best for you and all fans of this blog!

Je vous souhaite également une bonne continuation et beacoup d’inspiration dans la suite de vos articles pertinents.

(h)ada :)

p.s. Nos visions ne seraient - elles pas une satisfaction de nos besoins?

Unknown said...

happy new year ian!

oh, and i'm sure you are proud of me... while in costa rica, i drank 2 bottles of CAVA at my new year's dinner!

Guirilandia said...

maybe they need to market sardanas to the younger generation ... like maybe sarana chill out sessions, or sardana dub ???

Guirilandia said...

ok maybe one too many cuba libres

Anonymous said...

"I cannot accept that the Spanish government portrays all Spaniards in their promotion campaigns as bullfighters or flamingo dancers, but I find it even more intolerable that a Catalan company bastardizes our culture for one point of market share. Why not using the “calçotada” (grilled spring onions more or less), the “castellers” (human towers) and the “sardana” (Catalan traditional collective dance) instead?"

Ummm something tells me that you don't work in marketing do you? The answer is that very few people could even put together the common link between those three things let alone conjur up an appealing and relevant image from them that shouts "BUY CAVA". You want Catalonia to prosper? I suggest you don't advise Catalan enterprises on their marketing strategies ;-)

Feliç Any Nou.

ian llorens said...

Neil.
You are right, I am not a marketing guru.
However you do not have to take my ironic words literally.
It is obvious that advertising cava with "mongetes amb botifarra" (a Catalan dish of white beans and sausage) may not fly in the international market.
However I think that the marketing departments of Catalan companies should not resort to the stereotypic Spanish/Andalusian bullfighting and flamenco themes that have nothing to do with Catalan culture and even less label them as typically Catalan.

Garci said...

Ian:

Again 'churras with merinas' on your side. As a northern Spaniard I can tell you we identify with flamenco even less than Catalonia (at least there is a huge Andalusian population over there). So, while I agree with you in the fact the flamenco and bullfighting issue should be already over, I can see that if there is a place that is not identifiable with it, it is Northern Spain in general, more than Catalonia. In northern Spain it is 'bullrunning' more than 'bullfighting', and flamenco dancing you can barely experience it (however you can see a lot of it around Barcelona). More things: 'pelota vasca', the new name for 'juego de pelota' typical sport from northern Spain (Euskadi, Navarra, Old Castile). Take a look at several of the international competitions taking place in northwest Segovia (Nava de la Asuncion) or south-east Burgos (Quintanar de la Sierra). The sell of flamenco-related products representing all parts of Spain is more a pain in the ass to me that it might be to you, but of course it stands on a long-history (especially enhanced during Franco's government) that is marketable. Should the companies change it? yes, but I don't think it would be that popular or marketable for them.